QUOTE



NOW AVAILABLE AT robinmilhollandbooks.com


Spirit Seeds: Meditations for Harmony, Healing, and Enlightenment by Robin Milholland

Light Seeds: Your Personal Introduction to the Angelic Realm by Robin Milholland


COMING SOON


Soul Seeds: Lessons for the Soul by Robin Milholland

Seeds for Thought: Daily Readings for Enlightenment by Robin Milholland








Friday, August 16, 2013

Today's Affirmation:  "I graciously accept the gift of others."
 
 
Most of us are very comfortable with giving to others-giving our time, sharing our resources, offering assistance when others are in need.  In fact, some people give and give and give and give-to the point where they become depleted.
 
 What about receiving?  Many people who are givers have a hard time with receiving.  I don't know why, maybe they think they don't deserve it, maybe they feel guilty, maybe they were brought up to give and were taught that receiving is selfish.  There could be countless reasons.
 
But in order for us to maintain balance in all things, we need to train ourselves to be receivers as well as givers. It starts with our thinking.  We need to tell ourselves that it is acceptable for us to receive from others, that we deserve whatever others are freely offering us, that receiving is not selfish.
 
By graciously accepting the gifts of others, we allow them the opportunity to become  gracious givers.  We know how good we feel when we offer something to someone else.  Now, let the someone else feel good too-feel good about giving something back.
 
It is true that all things have two sides and that those two sides are antithetical (opposite) to each other.  So, logic follows that if there is giving, then there must also be receiving.  This is BALANCE.  This is part of what keeps our bodies, minds, spirits, lives in balance.
 
So next time someone graciously offers his help, insight, time, resources, or simply wants to bless you with a gift for no reason at all, don't say, "Oh, I simply couldn't" or "No, thank you" or "You shouldn't have."  (Of course they should have!)  Instead, simply smile, take the gift, and graciously say, "Thank you."
 
Remember:  When we receive, we give others the opportunity to give.  And when we give, we give others the opportunity to receive.
 

A Recent Personal Story About Giving and Receiving
 
 In February 2013, my 20 year old son came to me and told me that a friend of his, who had just turned 18 was being evicted by his mother who would no longer be receiving Social Security for her son. (That's a whole other story for another time!)
 
The boy (I'll call him Jim) had nowhere to go.  He had no family to rely on.  My son asked if it would be all right if we took him in for awhile.  After thinking about it for a bit, my husband and I agreed.
 
We believed, that since our family is stable and very close, we could offer what he never had-a strong sense of being a part of a loving and stable family who didn't travel across the country constantly and live out of a car and wash themselves at a filling station restroom.
 
Thus, we took him in.  When Jim came to us, the only clothes he had, he was wearing, but his shoes were too small and hurt his feet.  My daughter and I took him to an outlet store and got him some essentials-underwear, socks, some jeans and shorts, t-shirts, some sneakers that fit.  Even our family members donated clothing and shoes.
 
Not only did Jim not have these very basic essentials, he didn't even have any paperwork, like an identification card or a social security card or a birth certificate.  So, we helped him obtain all of those.
 
He was doing very well for a few months, then his mother turned up and it all went south, meaning she had a very negative impact on him.  But as you know, blood is thicker than water, and there was little we could do. Eventually, the mom went away, but the damage was done.
 
After a while began seeing some not-so-good behaviors.  There were lies and then missing things, not big things like electronics, but small things-my husband's cigarettes, some money from my sister's purse-things like that.

Then one early afternoon at the beginning of August, I was plugged into my computer with my headphones, working on my book, when he just packed up all his belongings and left.

I didn't even realize it until my son told me at dinnertime, when I commented how Jim was missing dinner.

Yup, just packed up everything (including my son's $147.00 toward his college tuition payment) and boom, out the door.

Never a "Thanks, I appreciate everything you did for me" or "I found a new place and will be leaving."  Nope, just like (excuse the expression) a thief in the night-gone without a word.

It has been a few weeks now since Jim has gone, and still no word to me. 

This is a lesson.  Sometimes we give from our hearts to others in need.  We are happy to help, happy to give.  But those we sometimes give to, are takers; they are not givers.  They just take and take and take, until they have exhausted all of our resources (including trust, goodwill, patience).  They are not thankful or gracious.  They just move on when there is no more they can take from us.

I hold no ill will toward Jim.  In fact, I keep him in my thoughts and pray that Universe guide him and protect him.  I pray that he finds his way and that that way is safe, productive, and successful.  I pray for only good things for him-awareness, insight, personal growth.

Perhaps one day, he will realize what a great service was done for him and reach out to someone else and give of himself.

For now, our family is healing the hurt  and anger he caused us.  Will my family stop being givers?  Probably not, but that's not the point.

The point is, when people take without giving in return or give without receiving in return, then IMBALANCE  occurs.  In order for us to stay in balance, we need to both give graciously and receive graciously.

Love and Light,
R-

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.
         -Irish Prayer

 
 
 


 
 
SEE OUR SPIRIT SEEDS FACEBOOK PAGE AND "LIKE" US!

No comments:

Post a Comment